PacerCMS is an open source adaptation of a PHP/MySQL application used to power a small weekly student newspaper Web site. The package serves as a basic framework for student and non-daily community newspapers. We are currently up to our sixth release of the project, but have not yet reached a stable "1.0" milestone.
Knowledge of basic Subversion functions a must in order to contribute to development. Google account (free registration) required to join project on Google Code (principle location for Subversion repositories). Understanding and appreciation for student and community journalism will aide in catering to our target user base.
Areas of Need
- Core Project -- Improve core functionality of project by streamlining activity for collaborative publishing; Review and implement suggestions from the user community; Refactor code base to adhere to a best practices standard
- Extend Project -- Develop a means for a plugin architecture for internal and external development; Create standard API documentation to support plugin architecture
- Installation/Upgrading -- Set installation requirements for project; Optimize package to be compatible on wide server configurations and user technical skill-sets; Create and maintain a utility to facilitate easy upgrades for future versions
- Database -- Review database schema and optimize performance; Improve on existing data access layer to add support for more database platforms other than MySQL
- Documentation -- Create and maintain online documentation for project; Documentation pertains to installation, technical administration and user operation
- Security -- Perform a security audit of the system; identify, review, classify and repair possible security problems; Maintain closed communication with other developers as to protect the installed user base
Please join our discussion list at [http://groups.google.com/group/pacercms-discuss] and post a brief introduction of your interest in the project and skillset. Of course, you will probably wish to download and install a version of PacerCMS. You will find that our group is cordial, and welcome any ready to contribute. Visit our Web site at [http://pacercms.sourceforge.net].